[Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation

Janet Hawtin lucychili at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 29 11:57:02 UTC 2006

Brenda Aynsley wrote:
> Janet Hawtin wrote:
>> Brenda Aynsley wrote:
>>
>>> I dont know who janet was with from acs at the meeting yesteday in
>>> adelaide, I certainly wasnt there and I am the chairman in SA.
>>
>> Oh for crying out loud perhaps ask your members?
>
> janet i am sorry you seem so angry about this?

Yep I am. I think a lot of people would be concerned about this.

It is yet another process which undermines Australian's rights to participate as
valued individuals in their communities and yet again controls access in the
interests of off shore proprietary interests. Its a recurring theme and a sad one.

> "The Adelaide public meeting will be held at 3pm on Thursday 28
> September, at the Disability Information and Resource Centre (DIRC), 195
> Gilles St, Adelaide. "

Well perhaps it might be nice to make a valid ACS comment on the proposals?

Why they are not a part of a FOSS inclusive discussion on empowering NGO's
and why they only recommend centrally brokered opportunities.

Why accreditation is the only option considered and open standards, good
processes and transparent technologies are not a part of the dialogue?

Purpose and function are playing a second role to a predefined structure which
benefits a few at the expense of wider community benefits.

If I was to look for a way to have the IT sector represented either to NGO's or
to government it would not be through so much fancy footwork or sleight of hand.

Janet