[Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Sep 29 11:02:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Janet Hawtin wrote:

> Proposals included
> - Government funding for 3 years.

A problem with limited duration funding is that expectations are raised,
and, progress can be made, but, at the expiry of the funding, it all
suddenly disappears; the lights go off, and everyone is back where they
started, having got a glimpse of a brighter world.

In WA, we have had and lost the SEAWA (Software Engineering Association
of WA), and are in the process of losing OSWA (Open Source WA), and all
the benefits of those institutions, for exactly those reasons. And,
both of those institutions provided great benefits for the IT industry,
in WA.

A government comes along with its hype, says, "aren't we wonderful, and,
making this the "smart country/state" ", then, the government gets bored
with it, the funding expires, and, people are back where they started,
with their hopes and illusions of a better world, destroyed.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."