[Linux-aus] Computer Programming Courses in Adelaide?

Paul Coldrey paul at ensigma.com.au
Mon Sep 25 09:41:02 UTC 2006

I think this is the better way too. PHP would be a good place to start
'cos the manual is very good and the error/warning messages tend to be
helpful. IMHO Python is a "better" language but a harder to learn for a
beginner. As far as what to code,..... a guest book app is always a good
first project :-)

Paul Wayper wrote:
> Tim Ansell wrote:
>
>> We would prefer an open source language like Python or PHP. Java would
>> be a last choice.
>>

> Are the online tutorials not enough?
>
> My preferred way to learn a new language is to reimplement some
> well-known wheel in it.  Pick something that you can start small and
> work upward, adding new features and ideas and making it more complex.
> Pick a problem that solves a need you have now (rather than, say, a
> widget sales department or Third-Order Chebyshev Filter resistor
> calculator).  Write it in two or three different ways - an array-based
> implementation, one using string storage, and one using files, for
> instance.  Follow the (online) tutorials but apply the knowledge to your
> own problem.
>
> The only reason to do a training course, IMNSHO, is to get a certificate
> at the end.  You can learn the same stuff just as well online or from a
> book, these days.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Paul

Paul Coldrey