[Linux-aus] Computer Programming Courses in Adelaide?

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.net
Mon Sep 25 00:46:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 21:51 +0930, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> Good on you Robyn thats a nifty idea.
>
> Also here is a link to the Adelaide and TAFE listings I posted on irc
> to this question.
> http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~brad/

I had Brad as a lecturer when I did CS1. The courses offered by Adelaide
all concentrate on Java and are much more intensive then required.

Generally I'm looking for something with 1 (or 2) nights a week for a
couple of hours (maybe about 3 or 4) with some homework for due each
week.

> http://www.tafesa.edu.au/Courses/CourseSearch/tabid/684/Default.aspx?txtTitle=programming

I had a look at this list and couldn't see anything apart from a some
advanced C programming stuff. About ~10 years ago I did a C++ night
course with TAFE but can't seem to find anything like that now.

> And programming user groups could give you some
> ideas on resources they find most effective:
>
> Java
> http://ajug.org.au/display/AJUG/Australian+Java+Users+Group
> Perl
> http://perltraining.com.au/mailing-lists.html
> Python
> http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/python-au

I have signed up to this list, but a search of their archives looks like
it is not promising.

> PHP
> http://www.php.net/cal.php?id=1895&cm=9&cy=2006

This group appears to be in Melbourne. Know of any in Adelaide?

> Janet

I guess I could also try the LinuxSA list. Been almost 8 years since I
was last active with them, wonder what they have been up to.

Thanks for your help.

Tim Ansell