[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Sep 22 12:19:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:37:03 +1000
> From: Christopher Yeoh <cyeoh at samba.org>
> To: Brenda Aynsley <bpa at iss.net.au>
> Cc: linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix
>
> At 2006/9/22 08:01+0930  Brenda Aynsley writes:
>> James Polley wrote:
>>
>>> I'm less familiar with ACS (I'm not a member of ACS, as I am of SAGE-AU),
>>> but my impression is that they target developers and "engineers". Again,
>>> there would be a lot of overlap in terms of people, but ACS' goals and
>>> objectives are wildly divergent from organisations like LA. I'm not saying
>>> they're at all incompatible - just very different.
>>>

>> wildly divergent eh?
>>
>> Here is the mission and the objects of the ACS just for the record :)
>>

> Is this still ACS policy?
>
> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/203/885/
>
> Excerpts:
>
>  "The Australian Computer Society (ACS) has called for mandatory
>  adoption of software quality assurance methodologies such as CMMI
>  and compulsory membership of a professional association for software
>  developers who wish to win Government business."

>  "The ACS released its software quality accreditation policy at the
>  meeting, with the following recommendations: all organisations
>  should implement process standards such as ISO 9001 and CMMI;
>  product standards must be met and testing carried out; and ICT
>  practitioners must belong to a professional association (the ACS no
>  doubt)."
>
> I'm wondering if the ACS has considered how a policy like this might
> affect the ability to develop and deploy Open Source software into
> government when it may be developed using quite different
> methodologies by people situated around the world.
>
> Chris
> --
> cyeoh at samba.org

Just out of interest, here in WA, was (and, I assume, still is), an
organisation named The Society of Linux Professionals (WA).

I assume that that would meet the need for "membership of a professional
association", for people who are into Linux, but are not members of the
ACS or the IEEE Computer Society.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale