[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Sep 22 02:07:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, James Purser wrote:

> I remember that one. The author claimed that Linus ripped off Minix to
> build Linux. It was proved to be a shill document before it had even
> reached the presses.
> --

If my memory is correct, I understood that Linus Torvalds studied Minix,
and then decided that it wasn't good enough, so he started to create the
Linux kernel. In so doing, he started with his knowledge of Minix.

Now, if someone starts with a design of someone else, and says it is not
good enough, and uses it as a starting point, varying it to suit the
intent of the person who said that the original design was not good
enough, where does the intellectual property, lie? Can the person who
came up with the derivative product, claim no knowledge, and, therefore,
no debt, to the original design that that person used as a starting
point? And, to what degree, do we know what of Minix, was used, and,
what was not used, by Linus Torvalds, in his work on Linux? So, what
truth do we know, of how much he owes to Minix, in his work on Linux?

I suggest that this is not such a "clear cut case", but could end up
being a matter for making lots of money, and, lots of work, for
intellectual property lawyers, over many, many years, if the parties
involved, wanted to make an issue of it.

Perhaps, the only people who really know the whole story, are the two
people directly involved; Tenenbaum, and Torvalds; "The Two T's"

I think that, while many of us are involved with Linux to varying
extents (me, just as a user, to others as kernel developers), for any of
us, other than those two people, to try to make judgements, would be
doing neither of those two men, justice.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."