[Linux-aus] Redraft of Request for Grant

Elspeth Thorne elspeth at thorne.id.au
Thu Sep 21 10:23:02 UTC 2006

Hello all,

made last week for funding for Ubertweak . My apologies for not sending
this sooner; I have been recovering from hardware difficulties.

Project Name: Ubertweak, http://ubertweak.org.au

 Aim of Project: Ubertweak is a Christian camp for high school kids that
 is run (at present) twice a year in Winter and Spring, and has been
 running since 1996. Our parent organisation is Scripture Union
 Queensland. We give the students a week of computer-related acitivities,
 including exposure to licencing (such as the GPL), open source software
 (they recieve a custom Knoppix Live CD) and many other things. See the
 website for more information (there's quite a lot there!).  Each year
 the students are also given the collected results of the work on camp -
 usually another two CDs and a DVD.  As evidence of the work done on the
 camp, we give packs to our sponsors, usually including the camp manual,
 tshirt, the electronic materials (one to four CDs/DVDs). We also include
 any sponsor's material in the distributed packs that is donated (totes,
 pens, etc). Additionally, we place the sponsor's logo on our flyers and
 advertising material (if desired), and on the website.

 Person Responsible for Request: Elspeth Thorne, Director, Spring.

Request: We use materials to teach python that were developed on another camp in the UK. These materials are freely available from their website (http://livewires.org.uk/python) under a BSD-style licence. We give the campers a cut-down version of this material in deadtree format. Printing and binding will cost us around $350 this year, as we produce around 60 copies, bound in 2-ring A5 binders. We would also like to promote Linux Australia on camp, and the local UG, HUMBUG. If there are any materials that LA deems suitable for distribution, they are most welcome.

Many thanks,

Elspeth.