[Linux-aus] Meaning of object code/binary format/executable format in GPL/BSD style licenses

Benno benno at benno.id.au
Wed Sep 20 11:44:05 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Might not be the right list, but I was wondering if anyone here had any idea
on what exactly object code/binary format/executable format meant.

In particular, if I have some algorithm that converts a source file
into a binary representation of, for example, a control-flow graph,
can I distribute that binary representation, and if I do what license
obligations would I have?

Would it be a object code/binary format/executable format? Would it be
a derived source file, or would it be a third thing which I have no right
to distribute at all.

Best regards,

Benno