[Linux-aus] Conference Idea

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Sep 19 11:53:03 UTC 2006

Pia Waugh wrote:
> Hi Mikal,
>
> <quote who="Michael Still">
>
>> Yeah, nothing came of it though. I got the impression at the time (IIRC)
>> that the committee thought it was a crap idea.
>
> It is exactly that positive attitude which makes you and your ideas so
> approachable ;)

Well, I am summarizing a bazillion email thread here, I think the poetic
license is justified.

> Seriously though, at the time we (the LA ctte) said it might be doable but
> I think we didn't really have the scope to do it.
>
> I personally agree that SFD is the place to do it, and SFD teams around the
> world/country already get sponsorship for the event and run workshops,
> talks, installfests and other newbie/general public type events.
>
> I think it already is a place for such an event, and that yet another event
> would probably be too much.

At the time it was partially motivated by a desire to keep LCA as
technical as possible, and to attract the people who want to go to a
Linux event, but can't tell you what is stored in an inode to an event
more focused to their needs and interests.

For people interested, the thread is online. I can't find the starting
point in my limited time (I have to go put the kids to bed), but a good
starting point appears to be:

http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2005-February/msg00137.html

which worked into

http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2005-February/msg00166.html

and

http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2005-March/msg00000.html

and then

http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2005-March/msg00003.html

and then nothing happened. There were lots of people interested at the
time, it's just that nothing happened.

Mikal