[Linux-aus] Conference Idea

Peter Lieverdink me at cafuego.net
Tue Sep 19 10:52:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 12:29 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Peter Lieverdink">
>
> > That said, I think there may also be room for a more formal general,
> > (inter)national F/LOSS conference that lasts more than a day, and could
> > attract sponsorship from business. Something half-way between LinuxWorld
> > and LCA perhaps? With involvement from LA, OSIA and other community
> > groups?
>
> In what way would this be different from linux.conf.au?

Not having been to LCA, ever, I can't really say. From speaking with
people who *have* been, though, I gather LCA is primarily technical.
Some of these people indicated they'd rather not see non-technical
attendees wandering about either, for various reasons. Again, not having
ever been, I don't know how widely that opinion is held.

A lot of Linux users aren't necessarily technically inclined, but are
enthusiastic about Linux anyway. As it stands, I don't think there
really is an event for them. (Leaving aside. for the moment, the
question of whether there actually IS a large enough group of these
people).

A tradeshow isn't welcome at LCA and I'm not sure newbies are either. I
do, however, think there is value in engaging these new (or prospective)
Linux users with advanced users, developers and service providers.

- P.
--
Peter Lieverdink   counter.li.org #108200   -37.807478, 144.94465
0x969F3F57   9662 1CB5 8E54 450D 2E12 9D7E 580E 2519 969F 3F57