[Linux-aus] Conference Idea

Peter Lieverdink me at cafuego.net
Tue Sep 19 10:26:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 11:30 +1000, Karin Purser wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have been thinking on this idea for the past few days
> and thought I would put it to the list.
>
> If each state ran a one day conference on SFD or any other nominated
> day in the year that catered for a number of groups, eg: Newbies,
> BSDers, etc,etc. A number of different presentations can be run
> simultaneously.
>
> This would allow people that were unable/unwilling to attend LCA
> for whatever reason (time off work, financial etc) to have the opportunity
> to get involved/informed on a more local basis without affecting LCA
> in any way.
>
> Within each state there will be a number of people that could present
> on a particular subject. Much like LCA but on a much smaller scale
> with a broader focus.
>
> Feel free to chew it up, spit it out and dissect it.
>
> Cherio
> Karin

Excellent idea, Karin.

That's a bit like what happened at the Melbourne Town Hall last
saturday. (Great work, Kylie!)

There was a "trade show" with organisations demoing Linux, wifi; handing
out CDs and information, and helping people with questions.
Simultaneously, there were talks on various open source topics that
people attended.

It wouldn't be hard to envisage expanding this to a model where there
may be two or three simultaneous talks in separate rooms. (We were
sponsored a single large room for SFD, so there were some noise issues
whenever people got too excited ;-).

That said, I think there may also be room for a more formal general,
(inter)national F/LOSS conference that lasts more than a day, and could
attract sponsorship from business. Something half-way between LinuxWorld
and LCA perhaps? With involvement from LA, OSIA and other community
groups?

- P.
--
Peter Lieverdink   counter.li.org #108200   -37.807478, 144.94465
0x969F3F57   9662 1CB5 8E54 450D 2E12 9D7E 580E 2519 969F 3F57