[Linux-aus] Conference Idea

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Sep 19 10:09:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 11:30:52AM +1000, Karin Purser wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have been thinking on this idea for the past few days
> and thought I would put it to the list.
>
> If each state ran a one day conference on SFD or any other nominated
> day in the year that catered for a number of groups, eg: Newbies,
> BSDers, etc,etc. A number of different presentations can be run
> simultaneously.
>
> This would allow people that were unable/unwilling to attend LCA
> for whatever reason (time off work, financial etc) to have the opportunity
> to get involved/informed on a more local basis without affecting LCA
> in any way.
>
> Within each state there will be a number of people that could present
> on a particular subject. Much like LCA but on a much smaller scale
> with a broader focus.
>
> Feel free to chew it up, spit it out and dissect it.

Mikal (Michael Still) ran something along these lines in Canberra not long
after lca2005 and he pointed out it was a lot easier to run and organise at
the time. He submitted a plan to La at the time for how to do this one a
national scale.

Simple one day events on open software related stuff regularly around
Australia, much cheaper to attend, much easier to run.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary