[Linux-aus] linux.org.au / linux.conf.au

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Tue Sep 19 09:29:05 UTC 2006

At 2006/9/19 10:04+1000  Jeff Waugh writes:

> Again (and for the last time, my next post will be an action plan), *you*
> are comfortable with this conflation, and expect others to be comfortable
> with it too. There are clear examples demonstrating this is not the case,
> of communities, individuals and companies... Even while we all agree that
> the conference isn't (and really has never been) just "Linux".

It hasn't ever been just about the Linux kernel, but Linux has served
very well as a focus for the conference to tie different areas
together, as well as being a way to introduce people to the wider
community.  It may be technically incorrect to put place much of
userspace under the Linux umbrella, but its a simple concept for
people to understand, and these days in the wider community the word
"Linux" means a whole lot more than just the kernel.

Where there are cases of individuals, communities, and companies
wanting something different, perhaps this is an indicator that there
is room for more organisations and conferences to fill any gaps that
may exist.

> All this fearful brand loyalty is a great big reality distortion field.

Instead of being afraid of sidelining people and organisations through
keeping the linux.conf.au brand, perhaps intead we should take the
opportunity to act as a incubator or sponsor for the development of
sibling type organisations of LA which focus on other areas.

And we don't need to fear LA missing out on sponsorship dollars where
other organisations can use the money more efficiently, promoting
ideals similar to ours.

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org