[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Sun Sep 17 07:18:02 UTC 2006

<quote who="Michael Davies">

> As Tim suggested, let's not underestimate the "brand loyalty" that we've
> got invested in the terms "linux.conf.au" and "Linux Australia".  Starting
> again from scratch without tangible benefit seems a bit of a backward
> step.

Rebranding, while sometimes risky, can also be a huge opportunity. We've
been on the front page of ZDNet already. Presupposing that the rebranding
effort will put us back to 'scratch without tangible benefit' assumes that
(a) we'll do it badly and (b) is loaded to suggest that there's no tangible
benefit.

I think saying what we mean and avoiding the exclusion of our peers is a
pretty tangible benefit. And if you don't believe me (because I'm fairly
comfortable with the whole "Linux" conflation), go and ask them. I'm sure
you know a FLOSS developer who has never even seen Linux code. :-)

- Jeff

--
Ohio LinuxFest 2006: Columbus OH, USA              http://www.ohiolinux.org/

    "I'm just mucking round down the shallow end of the literary pool, I
                          suppose." - Mick Molloy