[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Sep 15 14:25:02 UTC 2006

<quote who="Neill Cox">

> If we're going to change from "Linux" I'd rather we at least keep the
> focus on Free Software.  I'm not particularly interested in Open Source,
> because Open Source always seems to me to be more about engineering than
> society or community.  Free Software, while having the whole beer vs
> speech problem, does have clearer links to freedom.
>
> So if we were to change our name I'd prefer something like Free Software
> Australia rather than Open Source Community Australia (cute as OSCA is as
> an acronym).

So I think that software freedom is really important too, and certainly
representative of (most) of the existing community, but I take a slightly
different tack when it comes to spreading the message of software freedom.
The best way to describe it is to point to the front page of my website:

  http://perkypants.org/

The implication being that "Open Source" quality, business and usefulness is
a gateway drug to understanding and embracing "Software Freedom". That's why
I think it's important to call the organisation Open Source <something>, but
make *our* event more representative of our love for software freedom.

That quote was from the linux-elitists list, by the way. ;-)

- Jeff

                      Is Murphy's Law constitutional?