[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Sep 15 14:13:03 UTC 2006

<quote who="Christopher Yeoh">

> Sure they might not be exclusively about Linux, but they are on topics
> which are of significant interest to Linux users and developers. And at
> least currently Linux is the focus which draws these topics together at
> lca, rather than it being an amorphous collection of talks about Open
> Source, Free Culture, Politics, Education and Linux.
>
> All of these are important, but I think that smaller, more focussed
> organisations do a better job of serving their member's interests than
> large ill defined ones.

I've been very clear: Linux Australia -> opensource.org.au (and a name that
matches). Open Source is not ill defined. It's certainly bigger than the
Linux kernel, but it better represents what we're actually about.

linux.conf.au -> something else, not necessarily "Open Source". This does
take into account that linux.conf.au is primarily about technology, but is
also a central focus for the many topics of interest in our community, from
the hardware up to the culture. I'm not suggesting we be everything to
everyone, far from it - I'm saying we represent what we already do, and we
can use that to grow new conferences that focus on the non-technology stuff.

I knew I'd get a lot of argh-argh-scary reactions, but keep in mind this is
not a *change*, it's just a matter of embracing what we already are (we just
don't say it).

- Jeff

     Broken hearts rarely come with "Some Assembly Required" stickers.