[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch dassa at dhs.org
Thu Sep 14 18:11:02 UTC 2006

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
>> I think we have an awesome opportunity here.
>
> With regards to the linux.conf.au name change, I'm going to go out on
> a limb and pony up some suggestions. Gotta kick this sucker off
> somehow.
>
>  * Phoenix -- I only realised after posting that there was a hidden
>    gem in the title. There's not a lot behind this suggestion, but
> it's cool.
>
>  * Glasnost -- I think this says a lot about what is really going on
>    in the community and industry, and reflects on the 'freedom'
>    element that is so important at linux.conf.au.

Agree rebanding can be a great experience but I don't really like the above.
Phoenix is okay and has some potential, not a lot of baggage with it but
Glasnost brings to mind a lot of baggage to me, I might be one of the older
generation and the history isn't old enough for me as yet.

I'd be inclined to veer towards natural wording such as Tides, being tides
of change or Eruption, depicting the growth and spread of the movements.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch