[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 17:44:03 UTC 2006

On 9/14/06, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > I think we have an awesome opportunity here.
Theyre not dead yet. Apologies to Monty Python.

> With regards to the linux.conf.au name change, I'm going to go out on a limb
> and pony up some suggestions. Gotta kick this sucker off somehow.
>
>  * Phoenix -- I only realised after posting that there was a hidden gem in
>    the title. There's not a lot behind this suggestion, but it's cool.
>
>  * Glasnost -- I think this says a lot about what is really going on in the
>    community and industry, and reflects on the 'freedom' element that is so
>    important at linux.conf.au.

If youre looking at rebranding or developing a partner brand for linux.org.au
(separate to AUUG issues) with a broad free culture scope these are
some of the groups with this kind of profile which we could learn
from/partner with etc.

Adelphi Charter group has developed a charter on access rights
setting out principles of public benefit for laws relating to
copyright and information access. Peter Drahos was a (Information
Feudalism) was a contributor to the treaty.
http://www.adelphicharter.org/adelphi_charter_document.asp
They have written a submission to the UK government asking for changes
in scope and perspective for the patent and information law entities
in the UK
http://www.adelphicharter.org/pdfs/proposal_for_ofip.pdf

CPTech and other UN based groups have developed A2K Access to knowledge
They have participated in a digital access rights treaty.
They have a site and a draft treaty but need more live community
behind the issues.
http://www.cptech.org/a2k/

Robin Gross is working hard at WIPO for IPJustice.
Some great comments on copyright:
http://ipjustice.org/

FreeCulture.org
http://freeculture.org/chapters/chapters.php
Does not yet have an Australian chapter.

Australian Digital Alliance
http://www.digital.org.au/
Has a good response paper to the draft Act.

Something which would be able to carry a recognisable political perspective
could be useful. We heard recently that Pirat Partiet is coming to town.
Having an unmasked and flagless political position and cultural
advocacy group/project/forum could be a useful alternative.

Australian Wikimedia folk are working on setting up an Australian chapter.

I guess I am seeing a lot of these groups trying to make a difference
and I'm wondering if we could contribute to an existing momentum
rather than changing linux.org.au. We could do this by creating an
event, or forum for these people to get together or by inviting these
groups to participate in linux.org.au events.
Some of the treaty/charter groundwork would be useful to look at to
see if those proposals make sense in our local community, because if
they did it would automatically give that local project support from
elsewhere.

I guess I'm interested in unpacking the wider than linux functions and
ideas and
seeing what the goals might be, figuring out if that means rebranding
linux au or
participating in different kinds of collaborations.

I guess I think an AU LUG is a useful point of contact for people
looking for Linux.
There are other activities and ideas which feel like they might be
falling between the scopes of different groups. They may be covered in
groups with similar goals but
needing an AU chapter, or may be covered in groups which are based
outside of FOSS such as the Digital Alliance. In which case partnering
with groups who
are thinking in these ways gives us and them a wider base.

Perhaps one option for AUUG is for them to embrace these wholistic
goals for themselves and for us to be partners in that. It makes some
sense given their broader starting point, but their choices are their
own.