[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Sep 14 15:37:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Greg Lehey has proposed the dissolution of AUUG:
>
>  http://www.auug.org.au/pipermail/auug-announce/2006/000241.html
>
> I've written a response to his proposal, and listed a number of (potentially
> controversial) follow-up proposals for Linux Australia in my blog:
>
>  http://perkypants.org/blog/2006/09/14/goodbye-auug-hello-phoenix/
>
> I think we have an awesome opportunity here. If it is sufficiently difficult
> for the membership and current committee to decide, I will happily run for a
> position on the Linux Australia committee to pursue these ideas.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jeff
>
> --

Perhaps, Linux Australia needs to be reviewed, and, more than has been
suggested.

Linux is a UNIX, or, a UNIX derivative, but the converse is not true.

So also, with BSD, Solaris, OpenSolaris, SCO UNIX, AIX, DG/UX, etc.

And, from what I understand, the different "flavours" of UNIX still
exist, and are used, and, are used by large or substantial, commercial
(and other) organisations, whether or not, Linux people like it.

Perhaps, a UNIX organisation should exist, to which an Australian Linux
organisation should be affiliated. Similarly, with an Open Source
organisation. Linux is an operating system; some of the software that
runs on Linux, is open source, and, some of that also runs on other,
propreitary operating systems, such as MS Windows. And, some software
that runs on Linux, is proprietary, but perhaps should not be excluded
from discussion in Linux organisatons, due to it not being open source.
I think that MySQL might not be Open Source, and, its licensing, is
different to some other equivalent software (like PostgreSQL, I think).

For example, if VMWare is not Open Source, it should not be excluded
from Linux Australia discussions and events, due to it not being Open
Source, as it has, from what I understand, great benefit to some Linux
users.

But, do discussions about MS Windows, and, implementations of Open
Source software, on the MS Windows platform, really belong in the Linux
area?

Apart from the "Linux Australia Conferences", Open Source Developers
Conferences have also occurred, so Linux Australia does not own the Open
Source movement in Australia.

So, perhaps, Linux Australia neeeds to be reviewed, to determine
excatly, its purpose and objectives, and, how they relate to the other
issues and entities.

And, if AUUG has problems, as mentioned on the cited web page, and,
appears to be falling in a heap, then, perhaps, a new version of AUUG,
could be formed, to support UNIX in Australia, as had previously
happened (back when AUUG(WA) used to have meetings in West Perth), so
that people who use/administer the different "flavours" of UNIX, can
still meet and support each other.

So, I suggest that Linux Australia be reviewed, and, an Australian
organisation exist, that relates to Linux, a separate organisation
exist, that relates to UNIX, and, that the Australian organisation that
relates to Linux, should be affiliated to the Australian organisation
that relates to UNIX, and, similarly for Open Source, as for the UNIX
organisation.

Those are my thoughts,anyway.

--
Bret Busby