[Linux-aus] Request for Grant from Linux Australia for Ubertweak

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Sep 13 00:10:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 23:17, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 12:41 +1000, Elspeth Thorne wrote:
>>> Ubertweak is a Christian camp for high school kids that
>>> is run (at present) twice a year in Winter and Spring, and has been
>>> running since 1996. Our parent organisation is Scripture Union
>>> Queensland.
>>
>> I have to admit that as a non-Christian this makes me a little uneasy.
>>
>> I thank you for being open enough to clearly mention in the proposal
>> that you are a Christan camp.
>>
>>> From your website it appears that the camp is clearly for the promotion
>>
>> and furthering the Christian faith.
>>
>> For example, on the Leader section:
>>         It is a requirement of Scripture Union camps that leaders be
>>         committed christians involved in annual scripture union
>>         leadership training events.
>> and on the A Day in the Life of section:
>>         9:00am Where else should God be but first in our lives, and our
>>         day.
>>
>> I don't think it would be appropriate for Linux Australia to provide
>> funds for an event which specifically has the purpose of promoting a
>> specific religion (or even no religion, such as an atheist event).

I quite agree.

Especially with the feral government embarking on a religous
vilification campaign against muslims, I suggest that the timing would
be extra bad, for Linux Australia to be supporting a particular
religion, and specifically thee one that appears to be the one that the
feral government is pushing (christians are goodies and muslims are
terrorists), in its campign of religious vilification.

It would be unfortunate for Linux Australia to be seen as taking sides
in what the trinity of evil (the usa, uk and australian governments)
have started as yet another religious crusade against muslims.

I am not of any of these religions, and, about the only good thing about
the usa at the moment, is that, in spite of what the usa government is
doing, I believe that the usa constitution states that there shall be no
state religion, which means that it is unconstitutional for any usa
government body to support any particular religion.

I think that the same should apply to Linux Australia - it should not
support any particular religion, and, I believe that, from the above, to
grant the application, would be Linux Australia buying into a particular
religion. The use of the term "buying into" in that sentence, is
metaphorical, and not literal.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale