[Linux-aus] Request for Grant from Linux Australia for Ubertweak

Kylie Willison kmw at bridgeonline.com.au
Tue Sep 12 15:35:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 12:41 +1000, Elspeth Thorne wrote:
> Date: 2006-09-12
>
> Project Name: Ubertweak, http://ubertweak.org.au
>
> Aim of Project: Ubertweak is a Christian camp for high school kids that
> is run (at present) twice a year in Winter and Spring, and has been
> running since 1996. Our parent organisation is Scripture Union
> Queensland. We give the students a week of computer-related acitivities,
> including exposure to licencing (such as the GPL), open source software
> (they recieve a custom Knoppix Live CD) and many other things. See the
> website for more information (there's quite a lot there!).  Each year
> the students are also given the collected results of the work on camp -
> usually another two CDs and a DVD.  As evidence of the work done on the
> camp, we give packs to our sponsors, usually including the camp manual,
> tshirt, the electronic materials (one to four CDs/DVDs). We also include
> any sponsor's material in the distributed packs that is donated (totes,
> pens, etc). Additionally, we place the sponsor's logo on our flyers and
> advertising material (if desired), and on the website.
>
> Person Responsible for Request: Elspeth Thorne, Director, Spring.
>
> Request: Any sponsorship material is welcome, however, we would
> appreciate assistance with transport costs. We need to transport
> approximately 50 people to the camp site (in Toogoolawah, Queensland)
> from Brisbane. The service we have used in previous years is
> unavailable, so we are using an alternative bus service, which is
> costing us approximately $400 above the budgeted figure. A grant to make
> up this shortfall would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Elspeth
This is a great concept, I would like to see more of these camps around
Australia!  Do you get many girls going to them?  How many students go
to the camps?  What sort of activities do you do with the students?
What level of experience is needed?  Is there any follow up or support
for students after the camp.  Do the students bring their own computers
or laptops?  Do they learn to install an operating system?  These
questions are just for my own interest and curiosity.

I would like to see Linux Australia support this grant request because
the project's equipping young people and helping them realise their
potential.

Kylie

--
Kylie Willison
Regional Director

My Blog
http://kyliewillison.blogspot.com

This email was sent from a computer running the Ubuntu Linux
operating system.  The Linux operating system isn't harmed
by Windows viruses or spyware.