[Linux-aus] A speech by AG Ruddock "No Fair Use For You!"

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Wed Sep 6 13:41:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 15:17 +1000, James Purser wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 14:17 +1000, Kimberlee Weatherall wrote:
> > Actually, this speech is interesting because it does not say that the
> > government is going to allow taping to watch once - instead, it says that
> > the law won't legitimise people watching 'over and over'.  This might be a
> > 'backing away' from the full 'no rewind' law to something akin to a 'watch
> > at convenience but don't library' law.
> >
> Hmm, I hadn't picked up on that distinction.

I'm still not sure I understand it!

I mentally equate "over and over" with "more than once", ie: no-rewind.
Or is it a more subtle difference, like "you can watch it at a later
time, and rewind parts of it if you need to, but not rewind the entire
thing and watch it twice"?

Seems very nebulous to me. Anyone care to clarify?

Cheers   :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer <jon at ivt.com.au>
Ph +61 3 9723 9399