[Linux-aus] Firefox vs IceWeasel

Daniel Tandowski daniel at tando.com.au
Thu Oct 26 13:44:02 UTC 2006

gyaresu wrote:

> Computers scare people.
>
> It's not a browser. It IS Linux. It IS 'Free Software'. It IS 'The
> Computer'. A huge number of people (particularly the ones uncorrupted by
> ANY computer use) have no differentiation between a browser and an OS.
> E.g. My Grandmother is highly literate and an advanced researcher of
> Genealogy but She still opens EVERYTHING in MS Word.

This is painfully true, it can be extremely difficult to describe to
some people the concept of a 'Web Browser'.

> So we probably need a catchall name that incorporates EVERY secure
> browser. A generic name that isn't associated with a Trademark or a Brand.
>
> Not so much an Internet Explorer as an 'Secure Pipe' or 'Web Tunnel'
> that could be Firefox or IceWeasle or whatever. As long as it was Free,
> Open and secure.
>
> "OK kids. Now open up a 'Secure Pipe' to http://example.com"

Following on from above, and really the whole issue at hand for this
entire thread is; creating new (unheard) names scares people.

"OK kids. Now open up a 'Web Browser' to http://example.com"