[Linux-aus] FireFox vs IceWeasel

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Oct 24 15:31:08 UTC 2006

<quote who="Paul Wayper">

> Well, if it's fundamentally wrong, you'd better go and correct the
> IceWeasel pages on Wikipedia and on http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/,
> because they reckon it's also because of using a closed-source reporting
> app and allowing binary plugins.

GNUZilla is an entirely different issue, not wholly supported by the Debian
maintainer responsible for the Iceweasel. "Forking" was never the intent.

> It seems to me, from the reaction of some of the people on this list, that
> all this trademark-protection has made the Mozilla Foundation the new
> Object Of Hatred amongst the Free Software Fanatics.

Not at all. They're the first canary down the mine shaft, because they have
a significant trademark (and brand) to defend.

> Calling them 'MoFo' doesn't, IMNSHO, help anyone.

It's a common short form, not remotely intended to be offensive. MoFo folks
happen to use it too.

> so the only course is to split the codebase and use different logos.

Don't confuse forking and branding. You don't need to "fork" to change the
branding (Firefox includes build parameters specifically to allow this).

> But as to whether we should start panicking that this will create
> confusion amongst the people for whom FireFox is the first Open Source
> application they've ever used, I think that's a complete storm in a
> teacup.

It's the first of many of these issues, and the shape of things to come. It
is entirely worth fixing the problem for *everyone* (not that LA can do much
about it, but I wanted to make sure readers weren't misled).

- Jeff

   "The most beautiful things about the world are deer and bunnies. Even
   in a carnivorous way I like them, they are my favourite meats. When I
      see them together I feel that is a safe place." - Vincent Gallo