[Linux-aus] Firefox vs IceWeasel

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Tue Oct 24 08:09:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 02:49:59PM +0930, David Lloyd wrote:

> Karl,

> >They don't trust FOSS (the F is Free, incase you forgot) if they cant handle a name change to ensure the freedom to distribute the product (or a clone). Said ordinary user is at
> >most into OSS. And TBH, i don't think said "ordinary user" exists.

> People can be placed into meaningful groups using valid statistical means and statements about those groups may be made. Arguing that this is invalid and that "ordinary users"
> don't exist is rather much a red herring.

> >How does it jeopardise it (How is it a debarcle?)? its a browser for crying out loud.

> Brand names are important. They're important because large sections of people recognise a brand name and make assumptions about that brand. For example, when I see a new type of
> "Coke", one of my expectations is that it tastes more like "Coca Cola" or a "Cola" drink than unleaded petrol.

You must be disappointed every time you accidentally drink Diet Coke...

On the other hand, you're very right about brand names. Coca Cola discovered
this the hard way with their Coke 2 (Diet-Coke taste, real sugar instead of
nutrasweet) although it should be pointed out that it still sells quite well
(as "New Coke") to people (like me) who prefer the taste of Diet Coke to Coke.

(I may have confused the names here... The Internet could confirm this if
you're so inclined.)

On the other hand, that's the opposite issue here. In fact, that's exactly the
situation Mozilla are trying to avoid. (And rightly so, IMHO)

I think this issue is of more concern for Debian advocates than FOSS advocates.
After all, Firefox will still be available for download from the Firefox website,
I presume. The same people who don't know any better will probably only hear
about Ice Weasel around the water cooler, and forget it as soon as they get back
to their desk and see their reassuring little "burning fox on blue circle" logo.

The issue will be for those who're trying to win desktop mindspace using a Debian
platform. And again, they'll be able to download and install the official Firefox
if that's what it takes to win the hearts and minds, much more legally than
grabbing IE7 and hooking it up via Wine for users. [1]

[1] I could be wrong, I understand that the IE7 EULA requires a MS Windows
platform....

(I am a Debian advocate, but I'm not working on the push into desktop space,
since I don't spend enough time in the desktop space myself to be of much
use there.)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/