[Linux-aus] Firefox vs IceWeasel

Karl Goetz kamping_kaiser at internode.on.net
Mon Oct 23 08:59:03 UTC 2006

gareth wrote:
> Marco Ostini wrote:
>> In my opinion it's important to maintain the recognition that Firefox
>> currently enjoys among "ordinary users" who are in the process of
>> developing trust in FOSS while being faithful to the values of truly
>> free and well coded software.

They don't trust FOSS (the F is Free, incase you forgot) if they cant
handle a name change to ensure the freedom to distribute the product (or
a clone). Said ordinary user is at most into OSS. And TBH, i don't think
said "ordinary user" exists.

>> What are your thoughts?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Marco
>
> I was just wondering if there was consensus withing Linux.Aus that the
> Firefox/Iceweasle(omg) situation is in fact a debacle that jeopardises
> FOSS from taking its rightful place as a global standard.
How does it jeopardise it (How is it a debarcle?)? its a browser for
crying out loud. in my 'Internet' menu its called "Firefox Web Browser".
"Iceweasle Web Browser" wont cause my head to implode, and i very much
doubt anyone else's.

> This type of disparity does not imbue confidence in potential converts.
Which ones? The ones that want a Windows clone, or the ones who want
Free Software?