[Linux-aus] Firefox vs IceWeasel

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Fri Oct 20 18:24:01 UTC 2006

Janet,

> We are at a point in FOSS development where the laws around copyright
> and trademarks  are at odds with the very real and useful model that open source offers.

Indeed.

> The issue is (as I understand it) not restricted to Firefox and Debian
> specifically and is a disjoint between traditional functions of
> trademarks and modern modes of development and distribution.

The issue is quite simple, really.

The Mozilla foundation is stating that they would like to guarantee that
something wth the Firefox branding is actually - gasp - Firefox. They
use legal means to make sure that this happens.

The Debian foundation doesn't want to agree to the legal means that
would allow them to use the Firefox branding, so, as you've stated, have
chosen the other legal alternative.

<big snip>

Can you define a bit more...

  * The correct path?