[Linux-aus] Why Linux is not ready for business

Kelly Daly kelly at somewoman.com
Wed Oct 18 12:40:06 UTC 2006

as was just pointed out to me by the lovely Donna Benjamin  =)

Having said that, I work in Open Source and I didn't know about it (maybe
heard of it and dismissed it at the time as unimportant to me).   I'm not
sure how many companies looking to make the switch to linux and looking for
good people would know about it...  Whereas I would expect more to have
heard of Linux Australia...

I agree with Brenda's email, in that the thing is getting companies to know
what FOSS can do for them, who LA is, yadda yadda yadda...  Although that
wasn't what I was addressing in my post - it was simply a suggestion in
answer to the original post of "some companies want to do this but don't
know where to get the people".  I think Linux Australia shoud be the first
point of call for them, and then perhaps LA could put out pointers to
openskills.com for these companies AND all of LAs own members and list
subscribers.  I think its a matter of active encourangement to all sectors -
the people working in the FOSS industry and the people who would like to
utilise our technologies.

The bit about trying to convince other companies to use linux (who perhaps
still have no clue about what FOSS has going for it) comes under a
completely different banner, and is a much harder beast to tackle.  Although
once that beast has been tackled it would still be good to be able to say
"and if you take that road, here's where you can find your people!"

Cheers,
Kelly

kelly at somewoman.com
kelly at mel8ourne.org