[Linux-aus] President's Report: August / September 2006

Andrew Swinn andrew at swinndesign.com
Sat Oct 7 17:20:02 UTC 2006

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Conrad Parker">
>
>> On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 02:27:28AM -0400, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>>> Yes we can. We can promote upcoming events at current events. Promoting
>>> the same event ahead of time does not make sense. Let's do Event
>>> Promotion 101.
>> This is the Free Software community, not a corporate marketing strategy.
>
> Ah yes, let's pooh-pooh good practice because it sounds like something paid
> people would do!
>
>> The principle of releasing early applies to events for the same reason
>> that it applies to software -- it allows people to plan ahead and become
>> involved in the process.
>
> For which a year is entirely appropriate, considering that the core people
> who are already involved would know ahead of time.
>
> - Jeff

I had been umming about this one for a little while, but I think I have
to agree with Jeff on this one. A years notice is quite a fair bit and
quite enough. I like the fact that I know about Melbourne now and I
would have to say that although I would be disappointed to miss Sydney I
would not be 'as disappointed' as I know I will be going to Melbourne as
I have family there and hence more than one reason to go.

I would suggest that the following years event location be announced at
the conclusion of the current planned conference. I personally think
that would work exceptionally well and might add a bit of sparkle to the
sad end of a great few days.

Cheers,

Andrew Swinn