[Linux-aus] Re: NNIC Public Meeting - Adelaide

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 12:30:03 UTC 2006

> > Fact 10 - I didn't happen to notice anyone jumping on chairs or flailing.
> > The only jumping going on was the effort you have put into reaching your
> > bizarre conclusions.

Got this one now.
My comment was that we have direct access to each other and are able
to operate as a community sharing skills. The copyright lobbyists view
peer to peer as a threat,
the way peer to peer is approached in the ethics discussions and at
the meeting felt the same as that.

Much useful work is achieved through collaboration amongst people, but
it seems like the current trend is for groups to propose that we must
be saved from this open dialogue by entities which will manage
dialogue and trust for us.

There are other ways to develop ethics which are not so expensive of
our freedom to participate and contribute.

I can see why insurance led perceptions of what is safe can lead to
these kinds of strategies I do still feel that these approaches are
socially costly and not enabling particularly in this sector.

If the proposals were focused on enabling people and technologies who
are based locally to have support for their work that makes a
different shape.

The focus is on empowering existing efforts and helping those people
to spread ideas and to share their approaches and technologies.

This isnt a trillion dollar industry approach in terms of generating cash flow
but it is an approach which could generate ideas and connection
between like minded NFP groups rather than making an effective
pipeline to sending their funds offshore.

Our capacity as members of the Australian community to experiment,
innovate, share ideas and create local value are disadvantaged by
systems which save us from the threat of peer to peer opportunities.
Insurance is only one kind of cost.
I am concerned that we are not looking at other ways to build capacity.
In particular strategies that help volunteers and in particular
disadvantaged people do better rather than processes which potentially
cull them out.

Janet