[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Website

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Thu Nov 16 22:00:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 17:27 +1100, Neill Cox wrote:
> I'll also put my hand up.
>
> Can offer HTML, CSS, JavaScript and Python (and Zope/Plone if it
> turns out to be relevant).
>
> May be able to convince my wife to help on the graphic design side of
> things, although she's a bit snowed under with assignments at the
> moment.
>
> Cheers,
> Neill

Thanks for the offer Neill.

Okay to add some further detail to what I am envisioning.

The site needs to be simple to manage. This means simple to manage from
a non techie point of view.

Secondly it needs to be extendable. We need to be able to extend the
functionality of the site for any special requirements.

Thirdly it needs to be supportable. By this I mean that if/when there is
changing of the guard the new people aren't presented with some archaic
codebase and the knowledge and documentation is up to scratch.

Those are my criteria for selecting the method for building the site.
Comments are welcome.

Now to what the site has to actually offer:

- Member_db integration: Any site we develop is going to need to
integrate seemlessly with Stewarts member_db system. This will include
look and feel as well as functionality.
- LA News Feed: As with the current site, we need to be able to keep
members informed via RSS and on site news.
- LA Press Feed: Media mentions of Linux Australia and events/issues
affecting LA membership.
- LA Store: This is a new item. Part of the discussion at the Face to
Face was various methods of raising funds for LA outside of
linux.conf.au. The LA Store would enable LA to sell merchandise and
better handle donations. Integration with the main site would be best.
- Jobs Database: As with the current site, we need to be able to offer
an area where jobs can be posted for viewing. As I understand it, this
is done via a mailing list/page generator magical thing.
- LA Monthly news letter: Something new and not a necessity but a nice
to have. This would give people the opportunity to submit articles and
tutorials on various FOSS services and packages.
- LA Media: As some of you may remember I started a media sub ctte a
little while ago. This hasn't done much lately. However there is a
wealth of video and audio from various LUGs around the country that
could be shared across the various groups. Whether this gets integrated
with the main site, or gets its own site is open to debate.

Well thats my thoughts. As always I am interested in hearing what
everyone has to say, so please comment, comment, comment.
--
James Purser
Ordinary Committee Member