[Linux-aus] Noob at mailing list

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Wed Nov 1 12:41:05 UTC 2006

Hi Michael,

<quote who="Michael Brayn">

> Hello all, im new to mailing lists and im wondering how to use one
> correctly, i.e replying properly, etiquette and so one,

Generally just be polite and sensible. For example if you have a question to
ask, make sure you try looking yourself first, and when you post put all the
relevant information (eg - Linux distro name and version, error messages,
examples of what you've already tried). People generally expect you to look
before asking :) Make sure you use the mail archives, as there is often the
answer to a question already there, and if you find the answer to yours or
another persons question, post so others can learn from your lesson :)
Otherwise you should be fine. Make sure you don't forward private emails,
that isn't particularly good netiquette.

> also the footer
> on all the emails, do i need to put that in myself or does that get put
> in automatically?

Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                 "I dig your vibe." - Rove McManus to Ice T