[Linux-aus] Australian Ubuntu Local Community Team

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Thu Mar 23 07:20:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:51:32AM EST, Brent Wallis wrote:
> Blah...well it's out now!
>
> But from mistakes come opportunity... :)
>
> The points here on Visually impared users may be of interest to some and are
> a sticking point from me.....

As they are for me, as a vision impaired Linux user.

> Does anyone have some comments to make on Linux Desktops functionality for
> the disabled?

In short, there is still a long way to go. GNOME itself with the various
packages available for vision impaired users is usable, but such common
tasks as web browsing need a lot of work before they are usable by the
disabled masses. Things are constantly being worked on however, and
there is sometimes a way round things if a user's need is well
understood and requirements are clearly stated.
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE
Email & MSN: themuso at themuso.com