[Linux-aus] Re: [ALLIES] Re: A Linux for Students project idea

Donna Benjamin donna at mel8ourne.org
Fri Mar 17 07:01:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 08:07 +1030, Janet Hawtin wrote:

> schools have these budgets for software. Schools which then use open source software may lose funding through not using $$ software.
> It may be better to provide fos software with the kinds of frameworks
> that Donna is developing or the kinds of resources I am aiming to do
> in order to hit a similar price mark to the prop products thereby
> giving schools more bang for their buck rather than reducing their
> spend power.

This is a good point. It would be useful if we were to look for ways for
schools to re-invest those funds not being spent on software into
teacher training, development and curriculum resources.

There's considerable debate about the value of ICT in education. Vast
amounts have been spent and little evaluation has been conducted
regarding the educational impact of that investment.

Money spent on licences adds no value compared to spending on enhancing
teachers skills and confidence at using ICT, or at providing them with
curriculum resources they can use in the classroom, freeing up their
time to think creatively about engaging students.

- donna
--
http://www.mel8ourne.org/      MEL8OURNE2008
                               linux.conf.au