[Linux-aus] Re: [ALLIES] Re: A Linux for Students project idea

Evan Tait etait at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 16 20:52:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 23:23 +1100, Del wrote:

> So, typically, where do you get them from and what do you pay?
> Because
> if you go into Harvey Norman and ask for an XP license off the shelf,
> that's about what it costs.

Sorry...I've never heard of a school that paid retail for software.
Whether they be State or Independent.
And due to Licensing agreements, i'm not allowed to disclose how much we
pay, but it is no where near that price.

> And where do you get your CALs?  Or, like most organisations, are you
> running illegally?

I wouldn't dream of running illegally.  Too many audits.  I get our
CAL's from the same place I get my software/licenses.

I was already well aware of the changes introduced with Windows 2003.
The edubuntu machines are only standalone machines, not be authed in
anyway, shape, or form, and the citrix clients do have their own
Terminal Service licences.

I am working on (albeit slowly) using BSD in some way for
authentication.  But this is much further down the track, as my workload
at the minute is on the steady increase.
I have the support of management with this...anything to save them
money.  Although, some decision makers in the organisation do not like
to get out of their comfort zone
--
Evan Tait <etait at iinet.net.au>