[Linux-aus] Re: [ALLIES] Re: A Linux for Students project idea

Evan Tait etait at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 16 17:07:02 UTC 2006

Hello list...

I'm a long time listener, first time caller.

I'd like to know where you're getting your XP licenses from.  Because
$500 per, is a MAJOR rip job.
I'm the Net Admin at a primary school, similar in size to the one you
described.
We still run Win XP Pro on _MOST_ of our clients.  This is basicly due
to ease of administration from my end, especially with roaming profiles
and security policies.
Servers are a mixture of Windows 2003 and Linux (gentoo) and a PC-BSD
box i'm toying with.  The windows servers are used just for Active
Directory/Domain Controller, File Storage and backups, and  Citrix
Server.  The Linux machines are for WWW, Mail, mediawiki, mambo, and
other misc services.

I do however, run a Citrix client, that I developed to run ontop of a
gentoo machine.  This runs (fairly) flawlessly, with the exception of
supermount sometimes crapping out and not mounting kids USB drives.

Some of the other clients I have around the place, run edubuntu.  These
are mainly used just for maths, and science classes, and only on the odd
occasion.

I would like to run more and more Linux clients, but one draw back, is
getting the kids /home folders mapped to their remote location on the
Domain Controller.

There is plenty of support out there for free software, especially in
schools.
As I mentioned before, edubuntu is brilliant distro for schools.  Comes
pre-loaded with a wide range of educational software.

Let me know if your IT manager needs any help, i'll see if I can put in
my 2 cents worth

Evan