[Linux-aus] Re: [ALLIES] Re: A Linux for Students project idea

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Thu Mar 16 17:04:03 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's what I would like to see LA do to help - buy a domain ($10),
> set up a virtual host on one of the servers ($nil) and install a wiki
> ($nil) and a mailing list.
>
> Any comments or feedback?

You don't even need to register a domain, we coud just run a different
hostname such as "schools.linux.org.au".

The issue isn't cost, it's finding someone to actually do those $nil
things. At present the way the LA servers are set up it's a total pain
setting up extra facilities for additional projects, but there's a new
server being shipped to us by HP right now that will be set up in such
a way that it will be really easy to do things like this in future.
We're hampered by infrastructure issues at the moment but very soon
we'll have a lot more flexibility for helping projects like this.

So I suggest that you jump on the Allies and Lias lists (if you're not
on them already), find a couple of enthusiastic people to help put
things together, and submit a specific plan for what you want to do.
Then when the new server is up and running we could set up a virtual
machine for you and you can install a forum, a wiki, and whatever else
you need.