[Linux-aus] Re: IRC Network for Linux Australia

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Tue Jun 27 17:53:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 18:45 +1000, Robert Stoffers wrote:
> Its true that Freenode has had a little bad press as of
> late

On this point alone, I would like to add that Freenode's bad press has
been consistent, so consistent that as far back as 2003, exactly the
same move was considered out of user frustrations. As a result #SLUG and
#Linuxaus (among others) were created in mid June of 2003 on OFTC. For
reasons mostly regarding inertia, the move never went ahead.

There were continual technical problems in the years leading up to that
too. I've been using Freenode for the entire 6.5+ years that SLUG have
had their # on there and the problems, both of key Freenode personnel
and those of a technical nature, have been consistent that whole period.

I cannot say that OFTC is any better (as I know little about OFTC) but I
can say that the #linux-aus community have given Freenode a fair go and
a large amount of patience and indulgence over the last 6+ years.

Performance of Freenode and the antics of a particular key staff member
have been both a running gag and a royal PitA. I would personally
welcome a collective decision to move, if only because I think we've
given Freenode a generous run, during which time the users have been
consistently disappointed.

We have the freedom of choice and opportunity to exercise it.

      Craige.