[Linux-aus] Australian Digital Civil Rights Quiz

Nathan Bailey Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu
Wed Jun 21 13:01:01 UTC 2006

I'm not much of a stats buff, but I get the impression that the value of
packages like R <URL:http://www.r-project.org/> (and SAS, SPSS, Matlab,
etc.) is in the scripts/analyses built on top of the basic tool.  In
this case, it is quite possible that:
a) Proprietary tools lock in scripts to reduce portability (= lock in costs)
b) Proprietary tools require non-standard scripting language/approach (=
lack of economies of scale in skills/knowledge)
c) Proprietary tools may have plug-ins that can't be ported to other tools

(a) and (c) are particularly relevant to DRM -- if I am not legally
allowed to work out how to migrate my scripts, or a script set I bought,
then my own IP is being restricted by the DRM.

(i.e. equivalent to MS Office proprietary formats not being allowed to
be reverse engineered for portability [which isn't the case now, AFAIK,
but was less clear in earlier days of their EULA])

re,