[Linux-aus] Australian Digital Civil Rights Quiz

Nathan Bailey Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu.au
Mon Jun 19 11:57:02 UTC 2006

Janet Hawtin wrote:
> - digital voting systems

+

Quotation of the day for June 16, 2006
(quotationoftheday_request at rogers.com) said:

>  "For there to be a problem here, you're basically assuming a
>  premise where you have some evil and nefarious election officials
>  who would sneak in and introduce a piece of software," he said.
>  "I don't believe these evil elections people exist."
>
>  - David Bear, a spokesman for Diebold Election Systems, a
>    controversial maker of voting machines, quoted in the New York
>    Times, May 12, 2006
>    [http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/12/us/12vote.html?ex=1305086400&en=5b3554a76aad524a&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss]

These are the (naive) people we are trusting with our secure, black box
solutions.  And when they finally get audited and even the outside of
the blackbox is shown to be flawed, they still think integrity (Enron?
Worldcom?  HIH?) will protect a fallible system.

DRM.  A future determined by tampered technology.  With no traces.

re,