[Linux-aus] Australian Digital Civil Rights Quiz

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Sat Jun 17 20:26:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 16:15 +0930, Janet Hawtin wrote:

> Hows this for an Australian Civil Rights Quiz which asks people to pick
> which rights we have, ie which of these is true, which of these would
> you like to be true. I would like to do it as a poster.
> If someone would like to do it as a digital quiz feel free.
> Please holler if I need to correct any points.

This is excellent. It's far too much information to put all together on
something like a poster but individual elements in it could be pulled
out and highlighted individually as sound-bites.

For example, this chunk:

> * I have the right to refuse spam.
> Postal mail - you can put a sticker on your letter box.
> Telephone - you can advise a caller that you do not accept commercial
> calls and to ask them to remove you from their call list.
> Email - you can delete them, some install viruses on some computers.
> DVD - You must watch them and may not forward them or remove them.

would be very good as a stand-alone pitch. I'd change the tagline
reference from spam to advertising in general though, maybe to something
like "I have the right to ignore advertisements". That statement would
make most people say "well, derr!" which then gives more weight to the
punchline about having to watch ads on DVDs.

Great idea, Janet.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer