[Linux-aus] Grant application

flame flame at fraq.net
Fri Jun 16 09:37:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:02:58 +1000
James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com> wrote:
> Web hosting has already been provided with thanks to Steve Walsh and
> Nerdvana
> >
> > $1300	Mac mini	To test cross-browser compatibility.
>
> After much discussion it was decided that Linux Australia would offer to
> cover the price of a PPC Macintosh. This decision was based on the fact
> that OSX/Safari is still going to be supported over the next two years
> at least on the older machines. A quote for the machine can be submitted
> to the committee for approval.

I have talked to 2 Mac dealers in Brisbane; Infinite Systems & Powertech. Both
companies sell used mac hardware. Infinite Systems do not have any used desktop
PPC based macs available. Powertech have 1 G4 Mac Mini available for $700. The
G4 Mac Mini runs OSX 10.3 so a copy of OSX 10.4 would need to be separately
purchased at a cost of $200. I was informed by Powertech that other G4 based
Macs sell for around $800 when they have stock.

After explaining in detail how we are planning to use the machine, both
companies have recommended the Intel based Mac Mini as the PPC based macs are
considerably slower and do not come with the latest version of OSX. The extra
cost of upgrading the software would make the price of a PPC based Mac virtually
the same as a new entry level Mac mini.

It was also pointed out that an Intel based Mac Mini would not only be capable
of fulfilling our Mac testing requirements but could also be used to run
multiple copies of Linux and windows, allowing us to perform all of our
cross browser testing from a single machine.

The price of the entry level Mac mini has today been dropped to $949, this
machine would be far more suitable for our purposes then a PPC based Mac.

So at this stage I have only 2 quotes, $949 for a new Mac mini or $900 for
a used Mac mini. If anyone could point me in the direction of a reputable
Mac dealer who can supply a PPC based Mac with OSX 10.4 at a reasonable price
please let me know.

--
flame