[Linux-aus] Open Publish Conference and Conference for Standards in e-Business

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jun 15 17:24:02 UTC 2006

Is anyone going to the 6th Annual Open Publish (Sydney, 26-28 2006)
Conference [1] or Conference for Standards in e-Business (Sydney, 25-27
October 2006) [2]?

Why I ask, is just glanced at the blurb on the CfP glossy that I
received ages ago:

"What was clear at Open Publish 2005 is that battles over publishing
technology are largely resolved. With even the formidable Microsoft
Office file formats now migrating to open standards, it is clear that
proprietary technology is no longer acceptable to users. 2005 also saw
the introduction of the "mash-ups" where developers started connecting
together their own code with popular sites such as Google Maps and
Yahoo's Flickr. It is in this context that the 2006 Open Publish
conference will shift focus from technology to practice. As standards
level the technological playing field, the key success factor will be
the capability and experience of the practitioners."

I didn't read it properly before as it is a CfP with some preliminary
information. But I'm not sure I agree that any "battles over publishing
technology are largely resolved" and their example of an open standard.

[1] http://www.openpublish.com.au/
[2] http://www.open-standards.com/

Regards
Jacqueline McNally