[Linux-aus] Canada: Future of music coalition

Janet Hawtin lucychili at internode.on.net
Wed Jul 26 17:15:33 UTC 2006

Hi folks thought this might be of interest to some.
This conference is focused on building post-DMCA business models for musicians.

http://www.futureofmusic.org/events/summit06/index.cfm

FMC announces dates for 6th Annual Policy Summit

Mark your calendars and brush up on your high school French because we’re taking
the Policy Summit to Montreal!

That’s right. Plan to join us in Montreal, Canada from October 5-7, 2006 for the
6th Annual Future of Music Policy Summit, which we’re producing in collaboration
with McGill University’s Schulich School of Music and Pop Montreal.

FMC sees hosting this Summit in Canada as an opportunity to expand our
perspective on a range of issues -- from copyright, to sampling, to digital
royalties, to radio, to how various musical communities are managing change.  We
recognize that the music marketplace has become truly global, and that some of
the biggest challenges we face today are navigating the assortment of legal and
licensing schemes that encourage and/or impede the promotion and sale of music.
  We think that viewing these issues through an international lens will enrich
and enlighten many of the ongoing policy debates.  And, although we could never
have predicted this when we started planning in December, there have been a
number of dramatic developments in the Canadian music and radio industries – in
particular the formation of the Canadian Music Creators Coalition and recent
CRTC hearings – that will make the Policy Summit a must-attend event.

Plus, we have a brilliant set of partners. McGill University, one of the oldest
and most prestigious music schools in North America, has vast resources to offer
including spectacular concert halls, a brand new Music Building and connections
to some of Canada's most influential artists and music professionals. The Policy
Summit will also run concurrently with this year’s Pop Montreal, an
international music, film and art festival that champions independence by
presenting emerging and celebrated artistic talents from Quebec, Canada and
around the world. Performers from prior years have included Beck, Arcade Fire,
Interpol, Stars, Neko Case, and Franz Ferdinand, and last year's festival
attendance was over 37,000.

Come to Montreal for engaging discussions in historic settings, 400 musical
shows, gourmet food, strong coffee, delectable pastries, all wrapped up in a
crisp Canadian autumn setting.

Online registration will open up in mid-June at
http://www.futureofmusic.org/events/summit06/. As in year’s past, we will be
offering a limited number of scholarships for working musicians.