[Linux-aus] Grant Request: To Present at ACEC2006

Donna Benjamin donna at mel8ourne.org
Thu Jul 13 20:10:03 UTC 2006

Hey Everyone :)

The Australian Computers in Education Conference 2006
(http://www.acec2006.com/) is the biennial conference of the Australian
Council for Computers in Education (ACCE). It is being held in Cairns in
the first week in October. It's _the_ major "IT in education" conference
for teachers in Australia. At this year's LCA education mini-conf in
Dunedin, we discussed why there weren't many teachers present, and
determined that we FOSS people, should try to get to the conferences
where teachers are. When I saw there was a call for papers open for
ACEC, I submitted an abstract based on the presentation I gave in
Dunedin.  It was accepted! Yay! Unfortunately I still have to pay to
attend, and Cairns is a long way from Melbourne.

This is an important forum, because this is where teachers go to refresh
their thinking on using ICT in education. Advocating the use of free
software in a world where proprietary software is heavily subsidised can
seem like an uphill battle, but unless we engage in dialogue with
teachers, and talk with them about the educational outcomes of using
FOSS, we won't make an impact in this critical sector.  I would also
like to take the opportunity to promote the education mini-conf of LCA
to those teachers who indicate a genuine interest and commitment to
further exploration of Free and Open source Software.

So, I hereby apply for a Grant of $1500.00 to cover my costs to attend
the conference. Being for Conference Registration, $495, return airfares
$550, and accommodation.  All receipts will be provided, and I would be
happy to report on my attendance at LUGs or for the LA podcast.

The abstract I submitted:
Education Spokesperson for Open Source Victoria speaks about OSV's
education initiatives; the Free and Open Source Software for Education
Catalogue, the LiveLAMP server on a CD, and the Curriculum Matrix which
will link examples of FOSS software to the Victorian Essential Learning
Standards. This session explores the nature of educators working to
implement ICT in education and seeks to foster an open discussion about
the opportunities and challenges they face. Donna participated in the
Open Source Software in Education Mini Conference as part of
linux.conf.au, one of the world's top three Open Source Software events,
held this year in New Zealand, Dunedin.

Thanks for your consideration, I'm happy to answer any questions.

cheers
Donna.

--
MEL8OURNE2008