[Linux-aus] anyone for an open-source-beyond-the-black-stump miniconf?

Andrew Swinn andrew at swinndesign.com
Thu Jul 6 10:06:02 UTC 2006

Aguido Horatio Davis wrote:
> Something I'd quite like to see at LCA2007 is a gathering of all the
> people involved in rolling out open source software in remote and rural
> Australia, especially those using it to build capacities in communities
> that otherwise wouldn't have them. It would be for the usual purposes:
> exchange ideas, gain awareness of all the other people (and resources!),
> trade war stories, organise future work.
>
> I'm trying to figure out whether this would fit in a BOF, a one-day
> miniconf, or (theoretically) a two-day miniconf.
>
> Anyone interested in attending or presenting at such a thing?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Horatio

I don't know whether we really qualify for totally rural these days, but
living in Dubbo we are somewhat removed from big city resources and
there are plenty of instances of rural remote towns that rely on Dubbo
for it's support and do not really have a lot.

At the moment I am trying to help re-gather momentum in a local computer
club so that I can find some others in our community that will hopefully
want to help me in the near future promote foss in our local community
as well as those in our region. I am very interested in the goings on of
other foss projects that involve communities not situated in our major
cities and would be interested in attending something that revolved
around this.

Cheers,

Andrew Swinn