[Linux-aus] Re: Request for Change on how MiniConf's are handled.

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Mon Jul 3 08:31:02 UTC 2006

Comments on some point, from a first time Miniconf organiser last year.
AFAIK, IMHO, YMMV, etc

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Tim Ansell wrote:
> Firstly, I would like to see the Miniconfs separated from the
> Papers/Tutorial process. Miniconfs would be better served by a process
> which a proposal is put forward and made public. The final selection of
> Miniconfs would still, of course, be by the LCA committee.

One problem in this area I found last year was the acceptance of my
Miniconf wasn't made until fairly late in the process (when main papers
were accepted). On the other hand I found that the day that everybody's
papers were rejected by the main conference they resubmitted the same
papers to the Miniconf.

> This would prevent the case where multiple people propose similar
> Miniconfs which would be better served by a combined Miniconf. For
> example say "Gnome Office", "Open Office" and "KDE Office" put forward
> proposals, it could be merged into an "Open Source Office" Miniconf.

This happened a little in 2006, at least one of the Miniconf's was a
merger of two proposals.

> Secondly, I would like to see more structure for the Miniconfs given by
> the organisers. What I mean, is that the LCA organisers would give
> guidelines for when to start/have morning tea/break for lunch.
> Suggestions on how to plan the timetable would also be useful.

This happened in 2006. Lunch and morning and afternoon breaks were all
scheduled. Within those times there will always be some Miniconfs that
have a two hour talk vs 2 * 1 hour at the same time in other though.
Having the Miniconf programme on the same sheets as the main one would be
good though.

I actually found that running a Miniconf was a pretty straightforward
process. The main LCA conference really does do 90% of the work which
means the Miniconf organisers just have the do a little website, create a
programme and show people how to use the microphone. Compared to
organising a separate conference it is a great system and I think the
wider range of content the Miniconfs produce really helps LCA too.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.