[Linux-aus] Linux & Malaria?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at mysql.com
Thu Jan 19 12:51:05 UTC 2006

On Thursday, 19 January 2006 at 11:26:55 +1100, Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:40:37AM +1100, Donna Benjamin wrote:
>> Hey does any one know if Linux is being used in the biotech field -
>> specifically in research around curing/preventing/treating Malaria?
>
> DDT [1] is highly effective in preventing Malaria,

It's also a particularly strong pollutant.

> and one of the manufacturers (Bayer AG) is a big user of Linux[2].

Bayer AG has produced a number of dubious products in the course of
time.  One of their trade marks is "Heroin".  See
http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/opi004.htm or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin .

> In fact, at a guess, chemical and pharmaceutical companies generally
> would be big users of linux for supercomputing.

Yes, this is a valid assumption.  I recently had a job offer from such
a company (in New York) for kernel development work, and I received
another today from what might be the same company; they didn't specify
the exact purpose of the development.  If anybody is interested and
you have kernel development skills, please contact me privately.

Greg
--
Greg Lehey, Senior Software Engineer
MySQL AB, http://www.mysql.com/