[Linux-aus] Credit is in the outcome, welcome to 2006

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Jan 10 16:46:02 UTC 2006

<quote who="Anthony Towns">

> AFAIK, CALU didn't have any proceeds that made it into LA's bank account,
> but Rusty (CALU 1999, Melbourne) is LA's IP policy guy, and not forgotten
> either.

I remember CALU's little seedling being the starting point for linux.conf.au
2001 (and why we bothered sorting out LA's bank account in the first place),
so it was instrumental in making the conferences - and thus LA! - a success.

For me, the credit is in the outcome, and that's not a light and pithy thing
to say just for the hell of it. The linux.conf.au 2001 team (which I did not
lead or bring together) aimed to create "the OLS of the southern hemisphere"
as it was the most inspiring model at the time. In so many ways, I think lca
has eclipsed that vision [1] and become highly influential on a global level
itself.

The fact that it has survived, thrived, been the catalyst for the recreation
of Linux Australia, and continues to be one of the best FLOSS conferences in
the world - one that many key FLOSS contributors would not miss! - is credit
enough for anyone who has contributed to linux.conf.au or Linux Australia.

In five short years, we've transformed a distant, disconnected set of groups
into a bigger, closer, more effective, coherent *community*. New friends and
opportunities. A stronger voice. More eyes and ears on us and what we do. We
can *all* take credit for that.

Welcome to 2006. Let's rock even harder this year.

- Jeff

[1] ... and not only because OLS has essentially become a kernel conference!

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

              Fierce Commerce. Fierce Freedom. Free Software.