[Linux-aus] Nomination for Ordinary Committee Members

Jonathan Oxer jon at oxer.com.au
Fri Jan 6 05:30:03 UTC 2006

On 1/6/06, skribe <skribe at amber.com.au> wrote:
> As I understand it there is no
> verification between names/email addresses and living people.

Correct, but unless we wanted to go super-elitist ("you can't become a
member unless you're identified by the Web of Trust" or similar) I
can't see a simple way around that problem. If you think about it,
pretty much any organisation is open to the same problem: unless you
require members to sign up in person and provide a DNA sample to
cross-reference against other membership applications, you can't ever
*really* be sure they haven't signed up 17 times already under
different identities.

Think about what happens when you vote: they ask "have you voted
anywhere else today?", and we're expected to go all boy-scout and
answer on our honour that we haven't - as if it would be beyond the
criminal mind to lie at that point!

Vote stacking is a potential problem in any situation, even when votes
are cast in person: what matters is that we do our best to be as open
about the process as possible and make sure the final result is the
result that the majority of LA's members want, to the best of our
ability to determine who those members are.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan